How to Hand-cut Vinyl Paint Drips without a Cutting Machine



There are crafters out there who may want to participate in the joys of vinyl crafting that don't own a cutting machine such as a Silhouette, Pazzles, Cricut, Brother, or whatever new cutter is out there. This project is using StyleTech Ultra Metallic Glitter vinyl and a Dollar Store white trash can.





I first tape a sheet of copy paper around the shortest end of the trash can and use my finger to press the paper around the edge to get the correct curve. I then mark the impression. This is my rough guide. I say rough because is never perfect. Anyway... I cut out that curve and then I trace that curve onto a sheet of vinyl. Draw some drip marks and then hand cut.

I didn't use a transfer sheet to place these drips. If you fold the backing down about a half inch and stick that down, you can slowly pull the backing off while using the squeegee to press the vinyl down. It makes it much easier than pulling all the backing off at once. I know, I did the first piece that way!

I started with the lightest color because the Ultra Metallic Vinyl is a little semitransparent and the darker colors layered better on top of the lighter ones.  After you finish the first layer you can then cut drips in other colors. Don't forget to add some splats too!



The nice thing about hand cutting rather than using a machine is that you can quickly cut pieces to fill up gaps or add another layer.  If you have a section that doesn't line up, it's ok, just put a darker drip over it. You can add another layer of the same color for depth. The nice thing about hand cutting rather than using a machine is that you can quickly cut pieces to fill up gaps or add another layer.


Tada!! This will go great as my table trash can at my studio.

Now go craft your own way!

Tanya

If you would like to take at class with me in Baton Rouge, LA- check out my calendar


Comments

Erin Reed said…
this so much fun, love the whole concept!!
Steph Ackerman said…
Definitely a fun idea.
Easy to follow tutorial and quite a transformation!

Popular Posts