20,000 FUNKY Leagues Under the Sea Hair Sticks

My mission: to create a Steampunkish set of Hair Sticks using plastic sea animals.
20,000 Funky Leagues under the sea hair sticks Tanya Ruffin.com



20,000 Funky Leagues under the sea hair sticks Tanyaruffin.com
Mission Accomplished!

This was a rather simple project that I could glam up if I wanted to. I don't have a thick head of hair so a bigger, more embellished Hair Stick would fall out of my hair. So for me, simpler is better.

I started off with some plastic sea animals.
20,000 Funky Leagues under the sea hair sticks Tanyaruffin.com

I made of mold of the Octopus and the Stingray using Amazing Mold Putty

Thinking of raiding the toy aisle?


20,000 Funky Leagues under the sea hair sticks Tanyaruffin.com

I originally made my Octopus the same color dusting the mold with Alumidust Red Plum.
I loved how great it look, but I later painted it black to go more Steampunk.
But first, cast the piece with the white Amazing Casting Resin.

20,000 Funky Leagues under the sea hair sticks Tanyaruffin.com
See how great the Red Plum looked!
 As with all casts, I cleaned it up with an exacto and a nail file.

I think cast the Stingray and dusted the mold with Allumilite Silver Metallic Powder. I love this stuff!

20,000 Funky Leagues under the sea hair sticks Tanyaruffin.com

 I then decide to paint the Octopus black and added some fine glitter to each piece; black and silver.
The green piece is just there because the black Octopus was getting lost in the background.

Tanyaruffin.com

 I think pulled out some chopsticks from a local restaurant and used them as the base foe my Hair Sticks.
Tanyaruffin.com

I watered down some black acrylic paint and painted the chopsticks. I didn't want a thick layer of acrylic because I was scared it would peel. This worked perfect. It was like staining.

TanyaRuffin.com

Then I glued on my Octopus and Stingray with e6000 and had a quick, simple, funky set of  Hair Sticks!
Make sure the back side of your pieces are painted and presentable too!
Tanyaruffin.com

Now get get some Chinese food and Chopsticks!

Tanya








Tanya Ruffin



Comments

Popular Posts